Seeking Volunteers – Solicitors
The Nundah Community Legal Service (NCLS) is operated by Nundah Community Support Group Inc (NCSGI) and funded by Department of Justice and Attorney General. NCLS provides free legal advice and information through an appointment based daytime service and a Wednesday evening Volunteer walk in service.
We are currently seeking solicitors to volunteer for our Wednesday evening service for 2017 – especially in the area of family law. Suitable candidates will have an interest in contributing to the community by way of volunteer/pro bono work. Volunteers will have the opportunity to help disadvantaged community members and make a difference in their lives by increasing their access to the justice system, while experiencing one facet of the law’s operation first-hand.
The position requires a minimum commitment of one evening a month for up to 3 hours. The service is located at 14 Station St, Nundah which is a 15 minutes’ drive from the city and within a major transport hub.
For further information and an Application to Volunteer, please contact the Legal Service Administrator, Jo Money, on firstname.lastname@example.org or call 32606820
About the Legal Service
The Nundah Community Legal Service (NCLS) is a community legal centre that assists people with legal issues as a “first point of contact” service.
We help by providing advice and referrals. We do not take on your case or run your case for you.
We are a generalist legal service and assist with most areas of law. We do not provide advice on immigration matters, taxation law, native title, major commercial and building matters, draft wills or enduring power of attorney and witness documentation.
If you need more specialised advice, we will refer you to another legal service or to a private practitioner.
There are two ways in which you can access a free face to face appointment:
- By requesting a daytime appointment with the Principal Solicitor during office hours. Appointments will be made subject to available times, which are mutually suitable for the client and Principal Solicitor. To make an appointment please phone (07) 32606820.
- Attending the Wednesday Evening Drop-in Legal Service staffed by volunteer Solicitors and legal students.
- Doors open for intake at 5.30pm and the Solicitors will commence seeing people at 6.15pm.
- Once the Legal Administrator has received and processed your completed intake form, you will then be put in a queue to see the Solicitor that best meets your specific legal need.
- Although the service will accept completed Intake Forms until 7pm, this is an extremely busy service and if you arrive late, you may be turned away if all slots have been filled.
Please note – we do not provide advice over the phone or by email.
Before we can provide legal advice it is a requirement for you to:
- Provide photographic identification;
- Complete a Client Intake Form complete with “Other Party’s” details and a brief description of your matter;
- Provide any relevant paperwork which could assist our staff with your matter
Community Legal Information Seminars
The Nundah Community Legal Service is also available to present free Community Legal Information Seminars to school groups, community organisations, clubs etc. The aim of the seminars is to provide relevant legal information, referrals and linkages to other community support available. If your group or school is interested please contact the Centre for further information and bookings.
Opportunities exist within the Legal Service for Solicitors and Students to volunteer at our Wednesday evening service as well as other volunteer opportunities, [click here] for more information
Volunteering Positions Vacant
Eugene White is currently employed as the Principal Solicitor at the Legal Service. Admitted as a Queensland solicitor in 1980, he has wide legal experience in Queensland and interstate and has held several Management Committees roles in the not for profit sector. [read more…]